Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Marching Orders

*shouted in an authoritative voice*
Band. Ten Hut.

The high school marching band, quite frankly, sucks. Four years. Four directors. The only ones in their competitive division and instead of an award, they were given a certificate of participation.

Ouch.

That said, I've never seen a group of kids with more heart. More dedication. More enthusiasm. When was the last time you saw teenagers ask for more homework? For more rehearsals?

The new band director is just tough enough that it might work.

And I'm personally inspired.

I've spent a lot of time being tired and wanting a break, but after hanging out with these kids as the booster club president, I'm ready to do some more work. Brush up on some skills. Be a little tougher.

Forget the certificate of participation. I don't want to suck. I want an award.

I'm not looking for prestige or recognition, but that feeling as your head hits the pillow (you know the one) where you are exhaustedly accomplished. That you crossed things off your list. Made a positive difference in the world.

Grateful for the example of a new marching band director who is changing the world one mellophone at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment