Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pedestals vs. Stepladders

I am guilty of putting people on pretty high pedestals. Some might think this a good thing...

...until they fall.

And let's face it: we all disappoint people from time to time.

Especially the people we love and care about.

Especially when we are busy or stressed or are going through a rough time. Or sometimes just because we're lazy or we've forgotten how much we appreciate our family and friends and anyone else, quite frankly, who is willing to put up with our crap.

I'm thinking of a particular friend, who some years ago, took a flying leap off of the pedestal I had put him on. He's a good guy and a good friend (and a good attorney, if you're looking for one) and he made a special point to find me and apologize and do what he could to make it right.

He didn't have the answer I was looking for, but I really appreciate the effort. Still. And it's been years.

And I know that I can count on him. Always.

Which is nice.

Rare.

It taught me this: pedestals are nice...but small wooden stepladders are much more useful.

Said another way, I'm grateful for everyone who is willing to let me move up or down a step from time to time.

Grateful for people who choose to love instead of judge.

Grateful for friends who are willing to be honest. Even when it hurts. Especially when it hurts.

Because really...that kind of hurt is nothin' like that first step off of the pedestal.

1 comment:

  1. Deep, very deep... as usual. But I love it! You really should be a writer, you truely have a way with words.

    And I agree, I have learned that those who I have put on pedestals throughout my life, those who on the outside look like the "have it all", don't! And I realize that I don't ever want to exchange my step ladders for pedestals. Do my words "make sense" ;)

    ReplyDelete